Advise, Assist, Befriend - life in the National Probation Service

or, 'Enforcement, Rehabilitation and Public Protection'. You know the drill: any views expressed here do not (necessarily) represent the views of the National Probation Service.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Prison experiences

Today's Guardian carries a mammoth set of articles about life in British prisons - from the guy on his first day of a 12 month sentence at HMP Wandsworth in south London, to Phil Weatley the director general and Anne Owers, the prisons inspector. Quite a read.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2007 8:42 pm, Blogger violetforthemoment said...

I found that feature really interesting, especially the stuff from people in open prisons. I visited one for the first time recently, the rather lovely HMP Springhill, and was gobsmacked when they sent the prisoner down to collect me at the gate and we had a nice walk through the gardens to where he'd arranged for us to do the interview. I say 'gate' but there isn't really one at all. A real eye-opener, and a place that seems to have worked wonders on this chap by all accounts. Beats Pentonville for a day out.

 
At March 15, 2007 9:53 pm, Blogger The Enforcer said...

I've not been to HMP Springhill, but I do love a nice trip to a Cat D prison - usually one of the really positive experiences in the job, and something that helps me recharge my batteries to power through all the negativity elsewhere!

I also love the way that lots of open prisons are right next to Category B establishments - not sure whether this is as an incentive or a wind-up...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home